Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Wednesday: "catch up day"

Today was pretty slow, which was exactly what I needed after my crazy day yesterday. Because I was up super late last night coming home from Stratford and Oxford, I slept in until 9:45 this morning (unheard of in my "real life"). I woke up, got coffee, got on the computer, and then had a mini-tour of Camden Town at 1:00pm. The tour was all about the rock-culture of Camden, and it was cool but there were about 35 people roaming around in a group, which is terribly unappealing. Especially when half of them are drawing attention to themselves. Very annoying. Got to see the Round House, the Stables, all of the hang-outs of the Clash, Sex Pistols, Rolling Stones, etc. It was neat, but I was ready to be done with this "tour" by 3:00.

Afterwards I came back and got online for a little longer, worked on some school work, then headed out with my friend Rachel to the Cheshire Cheese pub in Old Town, which is across the river and really close to St. Paul's Cathedral. I got some awesome shots of the church (though I'm not claiming to be a photographer at all) as it was starting to get dark around 9:30. Yea, it gets dark here at 9:30. And it was daylight at 6:00am. Explain this to me please?!

The Cheshire Cheese is a pub that was rebuilt by Samuel Johnson (brewery owner) in 1667 after the fire of London. It is seriously built for tiny people. I JUST fit under the door frames, they were so low. There's sawdust in the corners (still don't understand that part). And there are tiny rooms with 5-6 steps down or up in either direction. Very cool spot. The pints and gin are cheap, and I had their own "house" gin, which was especially good this evening. Rachel and I had some chips and bar food (yum) then ventured off towards the cathedral and basically walked around Old town for a while. Very neat.
The pint in the picture was purchased for £1.80p which is virtually unheard of. It's a bitter made by Smith's. The £1.80p was donated by my friend Meredith Richards, so I wanted to make sure I put a picture up as proof that I took advantage of her kindness. Thanks Meredith, look how happy I am!




We ended the evening at Young's, after crossing the river on Millenium Bridge. I've walked across so many bridges lately it is completely surreal. I keep taking pictures, trying NOT to look like I tourist.

But I'm starting to settle in. Tonight was the first night that felt like any night I'd say, "hey, want to run to Byrne's?" and instead of Grandview Ave. being the scenery, it was the skyline of London. Normal, homey and breathtaking at once. Love it.

The weather is confusing. Cold then the sun gets hot for a minute, then cold again, then cool. So basically it feels like Ohio in the end of September.
I'm having a fantastic time, and have little time to get online and look around/email, etc.
I miss you all, but instead of me coming home---why don't you all just book tickets and come here? :o)

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Troy and I went to the Cheese when we were there! Yay I get to relive memories through you. :)

Carissa said...

Yum, that beer looks so good! I'm living vicariously through you back here in Ohio!