Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Bath, England


So we wake up the next morning and start to get ready for our 2 hour train ride to Bath. I was excited for this-- to see some more of the countryside and also to see the Roman Baths, which I've heard so much about.
Ann booked this FABULOUS bed and breakfast that is fancier than anything I've ever seen in the UK. I felt like lifestyles of the rich and famous. Not only was our little concierge guy incredibly accomodating (and cute) but they also served us tea in the garden upon our arrival. The view and garden of this Paradise Hotel was amazing. I'll post a picture of the garden here, but I knew as I snapped them that they would not do the place justice.




After a nice spot of tea, we decided to hit the city center and do some wandering around to get an idea of what we'd do the next day. We shopped for a bit. (I found a green skirt that's really cute for only £5. and a pair of earrings for 83p.) Then we had dinner at the Pump Room, which is attached to the Roman Baths. The squares had musicians galore and though there were tourists everywhere, it was lovely to just sit back, have a glass of wine and enjoy the scenery. The Bath Abbey is also in the square, and is a gorgeous church. Two of the spires have Jacob's Ladder on the front, and angels are scultped in to the stone as they climb their way to the top.

After dinner at the Pump Room, we started to walk home and I had a pint at the Lion and Lamb (which I thought was funny because it's also the name of a Christian bookstore back home). I met some great chaps who go to the uni there. We talked about all sorts of things, though this particular bartender was telling me HIS lifestory. From what I always gathered about stereotypical bar visits on television and elsewhere, I thought the PATRONS were supposed to unload THEIR life stories on the bartenders. Not this time. But still it was a great way to meet some locals and get a feel for what the Bath area is like. Obviously the smaller towns are incredibly different from metropolitan busy London. It's a nice getaway. Each time I visit a different town here I can't decide which I would prefer to live in. London always feels like home as I approach Waterloo station and walk down the Thames, but the smaller towns offer a lot for those who live there as well. Interesting to say the least.

I then went back to the room for a final cup of tea before bed. I was able to enjoy it in the bathtub in our room. THE BATHROOM THERE WAS GORGEOUS!!!! For the first time in my life I was able to soak in a bathtub with claw-feet. It sat directly in the middle of the enormous bathroom and was absolutely blissful. (Mind you I've spent most of my time here showering in a trailer-sized shower with no shower-curtain). It was heavenly. I was so lucky Ann picked this fancy place. And thankfully she brought ear plugs so I don't think my log-sawing/snoring bothered her at all. :o)

1 comment:

slmsimon said...

Did Ann have to fill the tub with hot water from the kettle on the fire for you.? It just sounds so perfect Mandy. What great pictures. Take one of Ann and you too.