Tuesday, July 31, 2007

St. Paul's, Portobello Road and Mary Poppins

Another big day of touristing!

Day two of Ann's stay (while I'm here too), and we took off to see St. Paul's again. I'm absolutely in love with this church. I finally paid the admission to get in and walked around to pay close attention to the detail inside the church. I also went up over 200 steps to the top of the dome. At the top, you can whisper into the wall and it bounces off the other walls and can be heard 32 metres away. Pretty neat. From up there the people look like little ants. The hallways and staircase leading up to the dome and whispering wall are so small that I could touch both elbows on either wall while walking through it. I honestly don't' know how anyone much larger/taller than me could get through. But getting up to the top and stepping outside was worth it. I could see my city, and take pictures of it all. The weather was perfect and the view amazing. I took so many pictures. I'm starting to get that achy- "going home soon" feeling and want to be sure I've embedded these memories into my brain. I don't want to forget how awe-inspiring everything is here. I know that the daily routine of home/school is going to quickly mask the passion I've found here for everything British.

After St. Paul's (which incidentally was exhausting) Ann and I split up so she could go do a brass rubbing and I could hit Portobello Road Market, which was on my list of things-to-do. It was great. I'm going back next week with more cash so I can buy this great jacket (will be the third jacket I purchase here but whatever) that I found for only £20. The streets were lined with merchants selling antique books, china, jewelry, music, clothing, etc. I bought two pretty shirts that are floral and not like anything I would normally buy. But I love them.


Then after getting home, I quickly changed clothes so Ann, Meredith and I could go see Mary Poppins in Leceister Square. It was so great! We had seats in the 5th row, which are normally £60 seats ($120) and we got them for only £30. It was fantastic.

Then home again to get to sleep and packed for our day trip to Bath.

No comments: