Monday, July 9, 2007





Monday, July 9th, 2007 (continued)

Today's Events

So today I went on a tour with a "professional story-teller" entitled: Your Home on the South Bank: Bards, Bishops and Brothels. It was pretty neat. We started out at the National Theatre and walked along the Thames River, while our tour guide (a local) explained how things were back in the 1300-1800's. Apparently the South Bank was quite a Red Light District. I knew that from the map that's currently hanging in my dining room (Shakespeare's London) that I purchased years ago at the Globe. However, neat little details emerged regarding St. Paul's cathedral dome being hollow, the pillars that still stand across the river, without a bridge to hold up, the Bride's Church on Fleet Street was the inspiration for our modern-day wedding cakes, the South Bank was once a swamp/marsh area, the Globe and the Rose theatre's remains are still where they were originally found....submerged under water. And apartment/office buildings (ARGH!).

I also got to see the last remaining wall from Winchester Palace....among other things. I wrote a lot of it down....Here are some pictures of it. Gorgeous day today as well.


Also, we were given a reception at the King's College, in the Chapel there that inspired the Harry Potter movie great hall. Took pictures of that. It was amazing. Here are some of them..... (just for you Carissa! :-) )

Speaking of which, I've told everyone about our Harry Potter extravaganza, how we were sorting people into houses before I left, and everyone was very jealous. Then they asked what house I was sorted into...when I said Slytherin I think they judged me. Oh well. hahaha!

Still having fun!



So here are the photos from the inside of the Chaplain Center at King's College. It's a place where all people can worship-- regardless of faith or denomination. King's College was created based on the idea that the King wanted people to seek holiness in conjunction with knowledge. At one time their lecture hall/auditorium looked like a chapel (as seen here) while the bottom half looked like a classroom. It was created to remind students of their reasons for seeking knowledge. Nowadays they're much more liberal about it all, but I thought it was a nice concept, and am glad that King's is the college we're affiliated with while we're here.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I have to see the pictures of the Chapel. Anything Harry Potter related is what I'm all about. Glad you're having a good time!