Monday, July 9, 2007

Day 3- First day of official "class"

So this morning was our first REAL day of class. I'm sitting here in class right now. (We're on a break). A gentleman named Stephen Doerr is the class coordinator for all of our "outings" and since there are only 17 students in LIS he asked us our interests so we may be accomodated with proper educational resources for our research paper, etc. I mentioned conservation and preservation of books and paper in general. He immediately knew of a person involved in (what the brits call) "book-binding", and he's hoping to be able to provide me with some interesting resources (possibly a special tour?!) to witness the different types of conservation for print materials here in the UK. Very cool.

Today we have class until 12, then we have our "london alive" classes for the next three days. We were given options (before getting here) of two different tours we can take. The one I'm doing today is Bards and Brothels: your Home on the Naughty South Bank. I'm thinking it probably will cover a multitude of historic areas that were involved in debauchery of all sorts. So I hope to have more to write about that later on.

It's difficult to manage all of the writing. I've got my hand-written journal, this blog, emails, myspace blog, and then my course through U of I to juggle while I'm here. I'm lucky that (due to the time change) I have an extra 7 hours to get my homework done for my U of I class. They have really packed in a lot of things for us to do. It's fantastic.

I'll post some pictures below from yesterday, mostly of my meandering upon the river Thames, and also my jaunt to Picadilly Circus with Rachel. There are surprises and intriguing things around every corner here...



To the left is a sculpture outside of the Dali museum. I MUST go back there and get inside. There were several sculptures of familiar works by Dali here. Amazing.


To the right is a street performer that was very familiar....I think he may have been here when I came on a previous visit. If you give him a coin, he'll ride the bicycle, beep his horn and ring his bell.

To the left is the book store that I imagined while reading 84 Charing Cross. Rare books up to the ceiling. One particular book is there, housed in glass, and awaiting to come home with me. Heroines of Shakespeare circa 1888, from Angela Clark's personal library. Inscribed to her.


To the right is one of the entrances to China-Town, which was right around the corner from the bookstore on Charing Cross. Lots of trinkets, great smelling food, and manga shops.













To the left: View from the end of my street....across the Thames of course Parliament and Big Ben. I have a million pictures like this one, but very few with blue beautiful skies and white fluffy clouds. So I'll continue to take more pictures of the same thing. :o)


No comments: